Yay! Dance Marathon is finally over! We started setting up at 10 am on Friday and from that moment on - we didn't get to sit down until 3 am on Saturday morning - hence I feel like I was run over by a train. Setting up took a while, getting the sound check done for the band and the DJ and the projectors... so much technical stuff! I spent all day and night and most of the early morning with the 8 students who had been planning this event, so we've bonded pretty well. The event last year was not very successful. They only had 150 people show up and didn't raise enough money to cover the costs of putting on the event. They charged $20 at the door. This year we charged $5 at the door, and $ 10 for families. We had 300 people show up, and raised $2,100. That on top of the $5,000 dollars that we had already raised put us at $7,000 and we still have the 5k race to host that raises money as well. Our goal this year is $10,000. Its not easy to raise money in this economy.
After we cleaned up everything, and brought the decorations, sound equipment, piping, and everything else back across campus in the 30 degree rain, it was about 2:30 am. I got to drive the gator because I was a staff member, so that was a highlight for me. Unfortunately, the gator key was on my key ring, and when I gave the key ring back to the student who was the director of the event and whose father was the director of facilities - he took my apartment and mailbox keys with him. So at 3 am when I finally got back to my apartment and tried to get in, there were no keys! So I had to call the student, and meet him at KMART to get my keys back. Ugh. It was a long night, and I do not want to make a habit out of meeting students at 3 am in a KMART parking lot. Yikes.
My whole body hurts from standing up for about 20 hours - and I've been sleeping in trying to catch up the sleep that I've missed. Since I have to get ready for the Spring Break trip that will happen March 9. Yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment