Sunday, January 11, 2009

What exactly is a honky tonk?



For those of you who don't keep an eye on the wild world of sports, the NFL playoffs were this past weekend, and the Tennessee Titans played the Baltimore Ravens in Nashville on Saturday. The Titans are now my new home team (oddly enough their colors are very Carolina-ish, dark blue and light blue), and so Scott and I drove to Nashville, which is only 30 minutes away to watch the game with some locals. Turns out - you have to put the correct address into the GPS in order for it to take you to the correct destination, and so instead of driving to my friend Laura's house, we drove to her work address. The traffic was a nightmare, I was clutching my seat belt but Scott was loving the sights and sounds of the city and he enjoyed the crazy traffic. We went with Laura to a local bar in her 'borough and met some people. Actually, the couple sitting next to us turned out to be from Sanford, NC and they both attend UNC Chapel Hill - small world! 

After dinner and the football game, we met up with several of Laura's friends who took a limousine  to downtown Nashville to their favorite place to dance, a bar called 'decades' that plays the greatest hits from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and today. There were all ages of people in this dance club - I am talking everyone from 21 years old to early 50's. So Scott and I danced the 'twist', and then "Dancing Queen" from Abba came on which was fantastic. We met many people and danced the night away. 


As we had walked from the car and then back to the car over the night, we kept passing these bars that had long (100 people) lines waiting to get into the bar. I asked Laura what was going on, and she said that these were Nashville's honky tonks. I saw some cowboy boots, some cowboy hats, and some big belt buckles, but I still don't know what happens in a honky tonk. I will have to save that adventure for another night in Nashville. 

Alexandra 

No comments:

Post a Comment